Indoor Lighting serves as the centerpiece of home design, allowing you to define the ambiance of your living spaces through the selection of light sources and fixtures. Lighting design, like any other aspect of interior decor, is constantly evolving and varies according to the specific needs of each room. Today, Canco is here to discuss six common mistakes in indoor lighting that you should avoid.
1. Six Common Lighting Mistakes in Indoor Lighting:
1.1 Relying on a single light source
The key to good interior lighting is the coverage of different light sources. Canco does not recommend relying solely on one light fixture, even if it looks beautiful and costs a fortune. Instead, consider using a combination of different types of lighting at varying levels, such as ceiling lights and table lamps.
1.2 Lighting that is too bright
Nothing is worse than feeling overwhelmed by overly bright lighting in your own home. Harsh lighting not only negatively impacts your vision but also hinders concentration and can lead to fatigue. Canco suggests opting for dimmable light fixtures that allow you to adjust the brightness according to your needs. Additionally, choosing bulbs with a warmer white light can create a more comfortable and soothing atmosphere.
1.3 Choosing the wrong wattage
Confusion over lamp wattage can lead to overly bright or overly dim lighting. Canco provides recommended wattage distributions for various rooms: 75 watts for the kitchen, 75-80 watts for the living room, 75 watts for overhead lighting, and 60 watts for bathroom side lighting. Nowadays, LED lights are becoming increasingly preferable to traditional incandescent bulbs. Manufacturers usually indicate the equivalent wattage on the packaging, but if not, a simple rule of thumb is to divide the wattage of an incandescent bulb by 8.
1.4 Use the built-in backlight with caution
Too many spotlights will turn your ceiling into Swiss cheese, so use built-in backlighting with caution. Most importantly, this light scenario is suitable for “working” areas, for example, kitchens, dressing rooms, or bathrooms.
1.5 Lack of strategically placed switches
Canco suggests planning the lighting scheme once your furniture layout is finalized, for the sake of convenience. Proper planning of light switch placement is essential for a convenient and comfortable user experience. Typically, light switches are positioned 5-15 centimeters from the edge of the door handle opening, at a height of around 90 centimeters. This placement ensures that they are easily accessible without drawing excessive attention, contributing to a comfortable user experience.
1.6 Ignore the locker room lighting
When ordering a wardrobe, we often overlook lighting, but it greatly simplifies preparation time for evening or morning gatherings. With proper lighting, you can easily find the right item without constantly rummaging through and picking things out. The best option is automatic smart lighting, but if that doesn’t come to mind immediately, you can purchase compact lights.
2. In Addition to Avoiding These Common Lighting Mistakes, There are Several Other Aspects Worth Considering When Optimizing your Home Lighting：
- Incorporating natural light is a great way to enhance the overall lighting experience in your home. Utilize windows, skylights, and other architectural elements to bring in as much natural light as possible during the day. Not only does natural light create a warm and inviting atmosphere, but it also has numerous health benefits, such as boosting mood and increasing productivity.
- Another important factor to consider is the color temperature of your lighting. Different areas of your home may benefit from different color temperatures to create the desired ambiance. For example, warmer color temperatures (around 2700-3000K) work well in bedrooms and living rooms, creating a cozy and relaxing atmosphere. On the other hand, cooler color temperatures (around 4000-5000K) are ideal for task-oriented areas like the kitchen or home office, as they promote focus and alertness.
- Additionally, don’t forget to incorporate accent lighting to highlight specific features or objects within your home. This can include Wall Lights, Downlights, or even Small LED Track Lighting. Accent lighting adds depth and visual interest to your space, creating a captivating environment.
Many people make the mistake of updating the style of their homes with one major change. You may want to do the same when purchasing new lighting, but Canco advises you not to do so. This is because the best lighting choices for different rooms in the house will vary. However, the right lighting fixtures in all rooms will also look cohesive. Canco Lighting is committed to providing practical lighting solutions tailored to meet your specific needs. Whether you are looking for Residential or Commercial Lighting, our team of experts is ready to assist you in creating a warm, comfortable, and stylish lighting design for your space. Feel free to speak with our lighting experts about any of your lighting needs.